Prevent Injuries This Winter Season
By: Dr. Brice Neff DC
Some of us may have health issues that make daily activities tough throughout the winter. Common cold and influenza, ice slips, severe weather, or a skiing accident can all put you at risk in the winter season. Thankfully, chiropractic therapy can keep you healthy and safe all through winter in a variety of ways. Consulting a chiropractor over the winter will not only minimize difficulties but also keep you healthy and operating at your maximum.
Winter Fun Safely
Snow, frost, and freezing temperatures are all aspects of the festive enjoyment, but they can cause more issues aside from tripping and falling. If you enjoy winter sports, you may be more prone to get injuries if you haven’t properly exercised and conditioned your body. It is much more crucial to properly warm up your muscles before engaging in any workout or sport in colder months. Because of the chilly weather conditions, blood flow to the extremities is minimized to warm the core organs. To minimize muscular spasms, sprains, and rips, ensure your body is appropriately protected and warmed.
Basic Guide To Warming Up For Winter Sports
Here are some quick recommendations for getting ready for winter sports:
Cooling down: This is vital for restoring and maintaining mobility during and after winter activity and sports.
Skiing: Squat 10 to 15 times with your legs shoulder-width apart and your knees positioned above your feet. Drop your glutes while bending your legs out across your feet, then push back up to standing. It is done gradually.
Skating: Repeated lunges, starting with a somewhat advanced step forward with one foot and lowering your back knee to the ground. Repeat with your second foot, keeping your shoulders above your hips.
Tobogganing: Pull your knees up to the chest for 30 seconds numerous times while sitting down or lying on your back to protect against shrinkage injuries produced by the pressure of rolling down rocky hills.
Other Tips For A Less Fun Winter Activity
One activity you may not be able to avoid this season is shoveling snow. So, if you have to shovel snow this winter, remember these methods to avoid back discomfort and other soft tissue injuries:
- First, don’t be in a hurry to complete the task. However, look up weather forecasts before you commence.
- Grab a thick jacket or layer your clothing to make your soft tissues warm and responsive.
- Practice warm-up routines to avoid unnecessary shoveling incidents.
- Carry the snow directly ahead of you to where you want to drop it.
- Tossing it to the left or right includes potentially harmful twisting actions.
- When scooping and carrying snow, bend your knees to relieve some of the tension on your back. Your leg and arm muscles can withstand greater tension than your back.
- Take frequent breaks to allow your muscles to relax, but don’t let it get too chilly before you resume.
- Severe chest pain, excessive exhaustion, or breathlessness is a warning indication that you should come to a halt and maybe seek chiropractic treatment.
Why Should I Visit a Chiropractor During Winter?
Here are a few reasons why you may consider seeing a chiropractor as the weather cools down.
Alleviation of joint pain
Sufferers of joint pain all year recognize that the low temperature may have a significant impact on the discomfort. As the temperature drops, the fluid inside your joints flows less easily, leaving them stiff and unpleasant to move. At Arizona’s Family Chiropractic, our chiropractor, Dr. Brice Neff DC can assist you in avoiding tightness by keeping your soft tissues and joints free and responsive, as well as decreasing any pain induced by extreme cold.
Cold and flu treatment
Because of impaired immune systems, anxiety, sleeplessness, and overcrowding, the winter season is the peak of the common cold and influenza season, and the period surrounding the festivities might put you at an elevated risk of contracting germs and viruses. Chiropractic therapy can help relieve the pain and stiffness in your body. Spinal manipulations can start a chain reaction that improves nervous system function and strengthens your immune response.
Regular chiropractic therapy at Arizona’s Family Chiropractic can also help to lessen the likelihood of winter injuries. Here’s how it can assist:
- Improves flexibility and mobility
- Posture, concentration, and sturdiness are all improved
- Muscle tension is relieved
- Restores joint function
In addition to the advantages described above, if you experience any accident, our chiropractor can restore your spine’s alignment and accelerate the recovery process of your wounds. So, be safe and enjoy everything the season has in store.
LET US CALL YOU
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few ideas for reducing hazards while still having a lot of fun this season:
- To increase traction, choose footwear with non-slip soles
- Begin with simple activities
- When stringing lights or adding decorations to your house, be careful when climbing on ladders
- To minimize icy patches, use salt or ice melt